Dropping lower sump

Russ Neely wrote "I think it is very important to drop the lower sump of the
bat wing
oil pan on the four cylinder Alfa engine periodically - like every fourth
oil
change.  Also pull the valve cover every other oil change to make sure you
change all the dirty oil."

There's another one of those maintenance items I was supposed to do and
didn't. I wonder how many times I would have had to do this in the last
198,000+ miles on my 91 Spider. Let's see, changed oil and filter every
3,000 miles while living in Houston and drove 60 miles round trip to work
each day. And now change it every three to four months since I only drive 20
miles round trip here in Cordova TN. I would have to guess that I would have
dropped the lower sump about 20 times. Would I have worn out the threads by
now? I also only have pulled the valve cover when I adjust the valves. But I
figure I change the oil often enough that the oil in this placed aren't
there long enough to hold the dirt. The last time I pulled the valve cover
it there wasn't and grunge in it.

Oh well I'll probably sell it next spring anyway and replace it with
something from Germany, or Bavaria or........

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee
1991 Spider Veloce w/auto 198,000+(S)miles
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]