1750 starter problems

<< From: Dick Stachowiak <stachowiak@domain.elided>
 Subject: 1750 Starter Problems >>
I had the same problem with my 1750 spider.  Your problem is caused by a
feedback loop developing between the solenoid and the cold start solenoid on
the spica pump (if your car is equipped with carbs disregard this post).  Now
for the easy and elegant solution.  Hopefully, your starter has two posts.
The top post has the battery cable connected to it which provides power when
the ignition is opened.  On the side of the solenoid is a double wire with a
spade connection.  One of these wires comes from the ignition, the other is
short and goes to the cold start solenoid on the injection pump.  Cut this
short wire at the double spade, refit the end with a lug, and then attach it
to the lower post which will also have a lug end from a braided wire coming
out of the starter body.  The cold start solenoid can now only be engaged
when the starter is engaged, thus preventing the feedback loop from occurring.
This has solved my problem with this phenomenon, which in my case was so
severe that I would have to pull the negative battery lead to get it to stop.
 Alas, I cannot take the credit for the solution, Wes Ingram handed it to me
on a silver platter, so now I am doing the same for the digesti.
Brian Ancelin
1971 spider