1750 Starter Problems

The starter on my 71 GTV is intermittently continuing to crank after
letting off the start position on the key switch.  It is not the the key
switch as it also happens if I apply power directly to the solenoid
start terminal with the key switch wire removed.  Once it stays engaged,
the only way to release it is to momentarily turn the key switch to the
start position again.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what to look
for.  I have a good starter from a 2000,  can that be used on a 1750
without changing the flywheel ring gear?

Dick Stachowiak

71 GTV
71 Spider