Who wants a new Alfa

Modern higher priced cars are getting loaded with crapola, at the expense of driving pleasure.

Case in point: navigation systems. Many of these are "integrated" with the climate/entertainment/onboard computer functions. This is in itself an ergonomic nightmare.

Besides the problem of integrating these functions into one touch screen (or i drive) control switch system (great: one thing fails and you are denied access to everything) as I understand it these systems are designed to replace separately controlled systems that worked just fine with the anatomy and intellectual powers of Homo Sapiens.

For example: the nav system replaces a map, with a DVD. Try reading that DVD during your walk through the park. How dumb is this, replacing a $2 map (they used to be free) with a gazillion dollar DVD complete with computer to read it.

Climate control: what is wrong with buttons? If you want an auto function have a button to press labelled "auto".

And so on.

This point about newer cars coming with stuff we don't want but have to pay for and fix is an important one. I will not buy a car that has an on board nav system, unless I have no choice.

BTW, in Canada it is very hard to get lost and usually very serious if you succeed. Generally, out West anyway, there is only one road from where you are to where you want to go. So, you're either lost and don't know if you're going back to where you started or on to where you're wanting to go, or you know which way you're going. If it's sunny out....you get the drift.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada