re: 164 radio

To add a little detail to the 164 radio removal discussion:
To slide the console back, remove the REAR (back set) ash tray and
remove the screw the bolts the console to the floor.  Sliding the
console back reveals the fastener for the trim strip to the left of the
radio.
There are 2 main fasteners for the radio: one on the side of the radio
by the driver's knee (which has a little plastic wedge to really hold
the unit tightly), and another at the very back of the radio, which
bolts through a beefy L-bracket (makes stealing the unit pretty tough).
To get at these, you'll need to remove the carpet on the side of the
console by the driver's knee, pretty much stand on your head in the
driver's footwell, and look up behind the radio console with a
flashlight.  Tight quarters, but workable.  When you've got all the
fasteners, the radio will just slide forward.  When trying to fix a slow
tape drive last year I pulled the radio enough times that I can do it in
10 minutes now, not that I want to.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'91 164 L