Gasket sealer questions

       I think it is very important to drop the lower sump of the bat wing
oil pan on the four cylinder Alfa engine periodically - like every fourth oil
change.  Also pull the valve cover every other oil change to make sure you
change all the dirty oil.
       The baffles of the lower sump collect all sorts of grunge (technical
term).  The baffles keep the oil around the oil pump pickup when cornering
hard.  The baffles also slow the return of oil to the oil pump and drop any
collected dirt and grunge in the corners of the baffles.
       The difficult part of replacing the lower sump is not tearing the
gasket.  There are a bunch of holes that must all line up.  If the hole is
not lined up, the bolt will tear the gasket and cause a leak.
       I have found the back corners are the hardest as the cross member is
in the way and you cannot see between the main pan and the sump.  A small
hook is helpful in pulling the gasket into alignment for replacement of each
bolt.  That means you insert each bolt only a couple of threads as you work
your way around the pan.  That lets the pan hang down so you can push or pull
the gasket into alignment.
       Gasket sealers are personal preference.  I have used Permatex Aviation
gasket sealer, but it is hard to clean off for the next replacement.  Spray
gasket remover seems to work OK for removal.
       I have used the red Permatex gasket sealer in a spray can.  That has
the advantage of being easy to apply to the gasket - lay it on newspaper and
spray.
       And I have put the pan gasket on dry.  And I have soaked them in water
to make them more pliable.
       And I have used silly cone sealer or Aviation Permatex with no gasket
at all.  Just make sure you use extremely small amounts of sealer.  And make
sure the sealer is evenly applied.  You do not want the silly cone to squeeze
out on the inside where it could dislodge and get into the oil pump pickup.
I like the Permatex Ultra Blue sealant or Hylomar.
       The bottom line is, it does not seem to matter what sealer you use or
do not use.  Making sure the gasket is flat and fits all the holes is the
main concern.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City