156 for sale in montreal, strange euro cars in toronto

A Montreal-dwelling friend of mine has seen the 156 in question parked at the
Italian Consulate several times, so I suspect the seller is a diplomat of some
kind.  If I'm not mistaken, they're entitled to certain exemptions and
exceptions with respect to the importation and registration of cars.  As well,
I believe that Canadians who work overseas have certain privileges in this
regard.  I suspect there are limits and conditions attached to these
privileges, but I know that this is how the Alfa Sud that resides in Ottawa
came to be here (the owner worked in the Canadian Consulate in Rome for
several years and shipped his car to Canada when he moved back).

As for the strange European cars in Toronto, I believe at least some of them
(the SMART cars for sure - there's one in Ottawa, too) are registered under a
manufacturer's exemption for testing and assessment purposes.  But as for the
other, slightly older cars such as the ES-30 that Emilio Belmont mentioned,
I'm not sure how they're legally registered.

Are there any Canadian digesters who are familiar with the relevant statutes
and regulations on this issue?  Can a regular Canuck easily import a
late-model used car from Europe?  What about models that were never sold
here?

Curiously,
Greg Stewart
Ottawa, Canada