Re: Who wants a new Alfa?

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Robert Clauss wrote:
> Probably not too many people. The enthusiasts do, and I probably would, but

Actually, *this* enthusiast doesn't want a new Alfa.  Nothing the company
is currently producing pushes my buttons.  They're nice to look at, in
many cases, but the underpinnings aren't all that interesting anymore.
I don't want a 164 for many of the same reasons.  It's not so much
that I'm against fwd (I've owned a great many "pullers"), but there's
nothing much in any of them to connect them with the Alfas I have now.
There was a significant break with the past with the 164.

I miss simple cars.  My next Alfas will all be older than the ones I
have now.  A Giula Super and a 750/101 Sprint are on my list.  Nice,
simple cars.  I don't mind some electronics (basic ignition and fuel
control are good things, as is variable valve timing).  But the things
BMW, M-B, et al are sticking in cars now (stability control, traction
control, nav systems, 20+ speaker stereos, etc) are not my cup of tea.
Even a Milano has too many doodads to interest me.  Nothing but trouble.
Trying to keep most of that working for 25 years will be a huge headache.

james montebello
'84 gtv6
'78 alfetta coupe