"Stinking Spider" (Hot Gear Oil Smell)

Just finished re-installing my tranny after a rebuild and
clutch job that took slightly over 2 years. Before I
pulled the tranny there was a nice sludge of gear oil
seeping down the passenger side of the tranny tunnel onto
the floorboards. I assumed it was coming from the torn
boots and seeping under the metal "helmet" thing on the
tranny tunnel. The car smelled like hot gear oil before
and it does still despite the fact that I removed the oil
soaked sound deadening material and fiber matting material
on the tranny tunnel and floorboards. I cleaned everything
well with oil eater. The smell comes into my nostrils only
when I stop, and since I have no top on right now I assume
it could be comming from outside, but I can't be sure.

The tranny is not leaking anything based on my very clean
garage floor.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is it possible it's
just leftover crud on the underside of the car? Could it
be the diff? Is there a vent on the diff that could be the
source?

Side note: Before I buttoned the boots up on the shiter
housing I drove a few miles to make sure all was shifting
correctly. I noticed a whirring noise coming from the
right hand (passenger) vent on the shifter housing and not
the left. I could stop the sound by putting my finger over
the vent, and I can't hear it at all now that the boots
are installed. It's curious the left hand one had no
sound. This may be of no consequence, but I thought I'd
mention it.

Thanks,

Jason Glover
'76 Spider