Rd. Atlanta, the Alfa GT-2`s retirement party.

After running the Alfa GT2 car at the Double SARRC races at Daytona in
August, and the trip to Wisconsin to where I got to drive Mike Cudahay`s
beautiful Alfetta EP car during the double Regionals at Road America last
weekend, I had decided to pass on racing the double SARRC races at Road
Atlanta, this weekend.  The Alfa had accumulated 81 divisional points, and
regardless of the outcome I would still be points leader for the South
Atlantic Road Racing Championship series. I was tired, the Alfa was still in
the trailor as raced at Daytona, sorely needing maintainance, but a call from
a competitor Saturday night allowing that there were 6 other GT2 cars there, &
 that I should be there as well, as that was the largest field of GT2 cars so
far this year in the entire country.  So I decided to bump the field to
seven, making August very memorable with races at three spectacular tracks,
Daytona, Road America,& Road Atlanta, in less than one month. Hooked up the
trailor, drove to Rd. Atlanta, which is a 7 hour tow, arriving at the track
on Sunday about 1:30 PM intending to race only the monday race.   The other
drivers encouraged the chief steward to allow me to start in the back of the
field, so we unloaded the very dirty Alfa, checked the oil, washed the
windshield, filled up the right side fuel cell and made it to the grid to
start behind 57 cars in the run group of GT1, GT2, GT3, AS, T1, and SPO cars.
 In this awsome collection af horsepower, we managed to give a great display
of what Alfa`s are built to do, finishing up with a 3rd in class, moving up
26 places in 15 laps.  Sunday was another great day for the Alfa finishing
2nd. behind Masters Campbell`s Porsch 914-6, but with the Alfa never
faultering, moving up 17 places from our qualifying position..  Before
putting it back in the trailer a friend did a brief doccumentary on the Alfa,
and its history as a competitor, as it`s racing is apparantly over for the
present.  I plan to take the New car to the Invitational this year, even
though the Alfa earned the points to get me there, and with a margin in
points great enough that I only have to finish 3rd. to win the SARRC
Championship.
         Winning the only National that I entered at Daytona this year put
Alfa Romeo in SCCA`s win list for GT-2 for what may be the first time ever in
that class.  It has been fun building,developing, and racing the car, and who
knows, maybe someone who wants to continue racing it will come along and it
can continue it`s winning ways.  Richard.