Alfas can't be purchased, but SUV's can

To re-enforce Brian Shorey's comments (and ON-TOPIC, hopefully). SUVs were invented to circumvent the automobile safety regulations instituted in the late seventies (and thus serve as cash-cows for Detroit). These regulations are strict and cover such things as automobile glass, bumper height, bumper crash absorption, headlight height, headlight coverage pattern, tail light make-up, Etc. Etc., Etc. Trucks are exempt from these requirements (as well as fuel economy standards. Cars getting the same gas milage as one of these big V-8 SUVs, have to pay a 'gas-guzzler tax.' As I understand it, trucks do not.) Now, we Alfa Romeo lovers would like to have to have new Alfas. At one time, if a marque wasn't represented in the USA, one could just buy one overseas and bring it back (or, there were places like Zumbach's in New York who would do it for you). Now we can't. Why? because new Alfas can't pass the SAME US safety laws as those laws that SUVs DON'T HAVE TO PASS! What good are safety laws when the largest single type of vehicle bought in this country isn't required to adhere to those laws? I'll tell you what it does. It makes a mockery of the laws, and it keeps many people from buying the brand and type of car they want. That's what it does, and I, for one, resent it. The guy who wants to buy a non-complying truck, because that's his passion, gets to do so with Uncle Sam's blessing. Those of us who want to follow our passion and buy a new Alfa Romeo cannot, because the same laws that lets SUVs exist won't let us bring an Alfa into the USA. That's Freedom?

My 2 Cents worth.

George Graves

On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 07:47 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:29:26 -0400
From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: SUVs

<snip>

The only thing wrong with SUV's, trucks, etc, imo, is that they aren't
made to adhere to the same type of bumper laws that passenger cars
adhere to.  It makes no sense to me that passenger car bumpers all have
to be at a uniform height, so if they crash into each other they absorb
equal energy, but SUV and truck bumper heights can be much higher.  In
fact one might argue it's almost criminal that passenger cars aren't
allowed to raise their bumper heights to protect themselves against
SUV's.