Re: grade 8 (was Re: Engine stand)

Agree with Richard on Grade 5 vs. Grade 8 _EXCEPT_ that grade 5 is every
bit as hard as grade 8 ON THE SURFACE--but softer in the core. Grade 5
stuff is case hardened, Grade 8 is through hardened.

As for the washers-- you need a GOOD hardware or parts store to find them,
but it's WAY better to use HARD washers for this sort of thing, NOT fender
washers. The hard washers come in TWO OD sizes for each bolt size--the
larger being ANSI and the smaller being SAE. If you REALLY look, generally
in an aircraft hardware place, it is also possible to find hard washers
that are small enough OD for the bolt size to fit under the head of a
socket head (Allen) cap screw--and to fit down a counterbore sized to JUST
swallow such a socket headed cap screw.

Not much point in trying to torque grade 5 OR grade 8 bolts which have soft
washers under EITHER end--all you will do is extrude the washer out of the
way !!

BTW-- there isn't a metric thread standard out there--be it DIN, JIS,  some
french or italian bologna,  BS, or Whitworth, that comes even CLOSE to
being as GOOD a thread standard as the good old ANS and SAE stuff is---
This is just something that we Yanks happen to have done  RIGHT.

Greg