Re: the second scary noise comes when you see the oil

Michael O'Donnell wrote:

The consensus around here is that you've cracked your valve cover. When this happens it doesn't show until the oil comes seeping through...

O'D

Well.. I haven't had the chance to run it for a while yet.. so that noise is still forthcoming.. It was painted at some point, probably making it harder to see yet..

I've already made some scary noises today.. I bought a cheap floor jack at Pep Boys, and took it back because it wouldn't LIFT anything.. The second one, ALSO wouldn't lift the car, despite jacking up a fairly large employee at the store..

I tried the various bleed-air-out-of-jack instructions, with no results. The second one, due to my paying with check, I cant get a refund for another week.. so I still have it.
Both jacks seemed a bit low on oil, so while I wait, I bought some jack oil, to see what I could do with the second one.
Aha!! More oil, some purging and bubbling.. the jack seems to work now! Yes, put it under the car and magic!! Up goes the car, the jack stands go under.. and I have a great time looking around, dropping the sump guard on my head during removal, etc..

Now... (how many of you saw this one coming?) time to drop the car and give her a little test drive..
Yes... you guessed it. THE FREAKIN' JACK WON'T LIFT THE CAR NOW!!!

Scary noises were heard...

Jon (who tried Manny, got no Moe satisfaction, actually ended up with Jack)