Leak down test results

Well, after realizing my compression tester has a quick disconnect, and no valve in the lower section, I used said lower section and a CO2 cylinder/regulator I have for minor compressed air duty as a leak down tester.

So, I set each cylinder to TDC, valves closed, blocked the wheels, locked the brake, and put it in 4th.. and gassed them up at 50 PSI.

Loud leakage in the crankcase, and about the same leak down time when I turned off the tank valve for each cylinder.

Having never done or seen a leakdown test.. I have no reference how bad or good (yeah, right!) this is.. Should they be pretty tight, and barely leak, or is a fair amount of loss normal?

With all the blowby, I have been expecting something like this.. but was hoping I might get by with a head overhaul (to stop a lot of the oil burning) get a cat, and maybe I could leave the pistons/rings for a time when I have more cash.. We'll leave the bottom end question, and if the Spica is hosed thru PO lack of service aside for now..
I still have the CA smog to pass.. before I can get the car registered in my name. Whether the ring/piston wear blowby will screw me out of that I'm still not sure..

Anyone have a fairly good 2L Spica motor for a reasonable price in the LA, CA area?

Jon

77 Spider (rode hard, put away wet, apparently flogged regularly with riding crop)