Scary noise when tightening cam cover nuts

Well, that one says it..

I was putting the cam cover on, after my home made leak down test (look for in a post coming soon to a Digest near you) and as I tightened up the cover nuts I heard a sharp CRACK... first on one, then on a second one!

I pulled the cover off, expecting the worst.. and didn't see anything. The studs seemed OK, weren't pulled out or stripped, or higher than the others (visually anyway) so I don't know what that was. It felt kind of like a torque wrench letting go, but a sharper crack. I didn't notice space between the cam bearing caps and head either.. (again, visually)

Any ideas? They tightened up ok later.. though I didn't lean on them as hard. I was using an 8" crescent wrench, hand about half way up it, and pulling no where near as hard as I could..

Jon