gussied up

In a message dated 8/27/2002 6:07:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I heard a story about Touring that in those days for the snob effect
> 'everything' in Italy should be named with an English word. Hence the
> name Touring. That may well be the case with Sprint and Spider et al.

In the USA only a few years ago, French was used to make the ordinary seem
superlative, or to make something appear fancy.  Funny, in the past few years
I have noted French s on the decline and is supplanted by... Italian.

Moral:

The grass is always greener, or Veni, Vici, Verdi.

Charlie
LA,       CA,           USA
(Spanish)(mythological)(English/Italian)