Re: Cleaning SPICA

Hello all.

I recieved a message from Ferdinand himself.. some of which I'll paraphrase or quote:

Basically he sugggests pouring a quart of oil thru the logic section (thru the barometric capsule port) of the Spica pump.. which will flush out the logic section as it flows out the overflow port.

My comments back to Fred:

I did discover that it seems nearly impossible to get something on that damn thing, with it in place and the engine in the car, on my Spider.
I found out, at least on my Spider, that I would practially have to pull the engine, or the Spica, to get at that bottom plug.

I also wondered if the bottom most screw on the case of the Logic section actually goes thru and would act as a drain plug, it looks like it does in a cross section drawing, but I don't know if it does or the drawing is a little inaccurate. ("Alfa Owners Bible", pg 127, fig 6-12) At least it might be possible to get at it with some difficulty.. But, unless I'm sure it's so, I'll just skip it and pour a quart thru..
The cutaway drawing of the Montreal pump is the one I was looking at.. (ah, Pat!) the screw on the bottom LOOKS like it goes all the way into the interior.. but it could be drawn wrong.. Anyone know if that does act as a drain plug?

I don't know just how beat up and abused this pump (and whole motor) is, just got the car 2 months ago and am starting to dig in to it. I changed the Spica oil filter.. there was a LOT of grey black sludge in the old filter and in the filter housing.. did much cleaning till it was spic and span. Out of curiosity, I put a magnet on the other side of the aluminum pan I used to catch the oil.. sure enough the sludge stood up and moved around.. lots of ferrous particles!! Not good..
This really got me worried.. high metal content sludge in delicate places. Not to mention, is this all thruout my engine's oil passages and bearings? And what has been wearing to make all this? Color is greyish to black, stuff is thicker than regular oil.

I remember the magnetic drain plug, when I changed the oil, had about a 1/4 tsp volume of metal filings on the magnet. It seems that with the huge oil consumption (100-150 mi/quart)and former owners, this car probably hasn't had a change in a while, just pour in another quart when it starts flashing the low pressure light. Sigh.

I'll be pulling the lower sump pan soon, to see what I can see (crud, sand, crank plugs, bearing bits?) and change the oil and filter again..

Any suggestions on how to clean an engine like this, besides quick turnaround oil changes, without taking it apart? I'll be getting to that later.. I was hoping to not have to do the bottom end right now, but am starting to worry I will..

Another worry.. was just reading about symptoms of a missing cam follower ball, and sure enough, moving the throttle rod lever on the pump does feel sort of "scratchy"... though it's been 15 yrs since I've had a Spica pump in front of me, and I'm not so sure what's "scratchy" and what's normal.. How do I know if it's really gone?

Ok, I read this, and tonight was fooling around with the Spica settings, mainly getting the throttles synced, and resetting the pump gap.. and yes, my control arm feels kinda gritty or scratchy.. as opposed to a glassy smooth feel.

What does a "normal" healthy Spica control arm feel like by itself? Is a little gritty feel normal, or might I have a missing cam follower ball?

Charley Goddard said:

John & Marcia, Gasoline in the SPICA oil or crankcase means your pump needs a rebuild by a pro (Wes Ingram) or others. I suggest you get Wes's SPICA Manual to fully understand the system. If you continue running the bad pump you will bear out your engine bearings and possibly damage your crankshaft and cams.

Charley.. you got me a bit mixed up.. I said I DIDN'T have gas in my pump oil.. which is one good thing in the midst of all these other possibly bad things.. I do have Wes's book and between that and Pat's book.. I'm remembering all those things about Spica's I knew 15 yrs ago, and am learning more..

Anyway.. we'll see if I will need a Spica rebuild.. I am really hoping that it will be good enough to hang in there to pass the CA smog, once I get the head worked over and hopefully most of my oil burning fixed.. But it isn't looking encouraging, at this point.

We shall see... appriciate any info or ideas..

Jon and Marcia

77 Spider (rode hard, put away wet.. and you KNOW what a Italian woman thinks of that!)