Throttle mapping

I'm curious if the collective has an easy solution for this:  My '74 GTV bucks
like crazy at about 4000 RPM.  We've checked the fuel delivery system and it
isn't starved for fuel and the timing is set correctly.  The thermostatic
actuator was recently replaced and is functional as is the fuel cut off
solenoid. Fuel pump is strong and filters recently replaced.  The engine runs
steady under a light load (under 2800 RPM) and even under moderate
acceleration up to 4000 RPM.  Let off the gas and it is smooth coming down.
Step back on and it bucks.  Someone suggested it might be the 3D throttle
position mapping within the fuel pump.  Is that likely the case?  Any easy fix
for the weekend mechanic or time to call Wes?  Any help appreciated.

George Hovis
'74 GTV "Ollie"
www.gtv2000.com