re: paint colors

At 4:44 AM +0000 8/26/02, John H. wrote:
I can't quite see "not to have many color combos to support on small sales
volume." Support how? Supporting a paint color consists of giving each paint
manufacturer a slip of paper with a formula, and printing a label to stick in
the trunk, but they had already done that for world sales.
I think what he meant is dealing with the ability of a dealer to make all the "available" colors genuinely available. If it only comes in black, no one can complain about the lack of a silver model on the lot. Now I realize that my parents may not be your average car shoppers, but they've bought two new cars in their lives and availability of "available" paint colors played a role in both purchases. In 1979 my dad bought a FIAT 131. He wanted it in red (which was in the brochure), with a sunroof and nothing else, but the dealer in San Diego told him he'd have to special order it. After several weeks of waiting, the dealer said his red car had been lost in the distribution channel, and he'd either have to take a different color or wait another several weeks. My dad ended up with a tan 131 with a radio that he didn't have to pay for. In 1986 my parents wanted a white Volvo 240 wagon with a (black, not chrome) luggage rack, third seat, air conditioning, and heavy-duty floormats. There were several white cars on the lot, but none with that set of options. After some haggling, they ended up with a white car with a black luggage rack and AC, but they got a free automatic transmission, and had to take the car back a week later for the dealer to remove the radio and install the third seat. And then they had to go to another Volvo dealer to get their heavy-duty floormats. To me, this explains why power windows, AC, and leather were standard on USA GTV6's and why interior and exterior color choices were so limited.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
'73 Opel GT (You wanna talk bad color schemes? Remember that orange?)