re:removing AC

>Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:22:20 -0400
>From: "Douglas R. and Julia R. Harris" <dharris@domain.elided>
>Subject: Removing AC

>    My 77 Spider had AC installed early on.  The air pump was removed
>(good) to make room for  the compressor, but the condenser, in front
of
>the radiator, seems to rob engine cooling efficiency (bad).  Also, the
>compressor required the installation of an additional pulley and belt
>forward of the water pump pulley to drive it (also bad).

I was recently forced into a similar decision in my 89 Spider with
factory AC when the fan blade went south and sent chunks through my
rad. Options of replacing all broken parts along with the rad re-core
or going electric were considered but for me it was easy. The AC never
worked in the 6 years I've owned it so I removed all of the AC
mechanicals. I then custom fitted the original AC condensor fan in
front of the re-cored rad (push mode) and connected it all through a
Hayden fan relay kit and all is well. Since the AC wasn't working I
didn't spend much time worried about how to properly take it apart for
future service. I have all of the components and they will likely be in
that same box for years to come!

The only draw back I've found is that the condensor fan is a bit loud
and of course is only ever on when you are in slow traffic. I'm sure
some people think an Alfa 2L actually sounds like a small electric
motor!

As usual I got lots of help from the list members - thanks again.

Barry
89 Spider
http://finance.yahoo.com