Strange Charging Problem

Last week my 69 Berlina sat at work for 2 days and when I went to start it
the battery was flat. A jump got it started and home. I put it on the
charger overnight and it worked fine the following day. Saturday I got out
the voltmeter and the battery was at 12.5V and the alternator was charging a
hair under 14V. I checked the belt tension and it was good. Today I went out
for a drive and I noticed that the ammeter was almost up to +30A. When I got
home the battery was at 12.75V (ignition off) and the alternator was only
putting out 13.5V (2000rpm). The battery is about 1 1/2 years old and just
came out of another car where it had been working perfectly. I can only
think of 2 possibilities, either the voltage regulator is sticking or I may
have a short that is drawing a large current intermittently. Any other
possibilities or a way of testing?

Thanks,
Mitch Wolberg,
69 Berlina