91 164 AC Blowing fuses

Hello,

Got a question...  My newly-acquired '91 Base 164 (US-Spec) decided to lose
it's AC.

With the system set to ECON, it works perfectly.  As soon as I engage the
compressor, it blows a fuse.  It was taking it a while to do so before, now
as soon as I engage the compressor.. BOOM.  Fuse bloweth violently.

Any ideas?  Otherwise the ACwas working great.

Thanks!

Bill