Superchargers v turbos, EFI & Twin Sparks

In #1044 Mark Battley makes a case for the use of turbos rather than
superchargers, primarily from the cost standpoint but also availability.

Glad to see the subject continuing without my daily emails. Am trying to
get client's Giulietta ready for a short road test, so have somewhat
curtailed my comments...for the moment.

Also Jim Steck sent me an email which pretty much said he could start
installing a supercharged system today. I have an email into him asking
to reprint his comments. He's not replied so am cheating a bit by using
some of his comments out of context:

The feeling I get is that Jim personally prefers superchargers, but
admits that, "An engine can always make more flywheel Hp with a turbo
because of the mechanical losses in driving a blower, but an engine with
a 50-60 Hp increase would be easy to build."

He goes on to say, "The real problem with turbos is the exhaust
system...even stainless steel has to be considered temporary. You can
expect rebuilding every couple of years....".

I'm certainly not saying it can't be done on the 'cheap', but imagine
whichever 'charger one chooses, you'll be into some pretty serious money
by the time you're through. You'll still need to consider the ignition
system, fuel system, intercooler, and mounting - not to mention a fairly
steep learning curve if it's 'your first time', whichever you choose.
That is not to say you might not do without an intercooler such as Norm
Riffle is contemplating for his system. Others might also choose to use
their current ignition system.

I did do a little surfing at Eric Storhok's suggestion and finally found
Electromotive-inc.com. Didn't know about the -inc part. Will readily
admit when one reads a company's specs it sounds like it must be the
greatest ever - especially when the reader doesn't know diddly about the
subject, which I've readily admitted to. Jim uses Electromotive's
ignition and fuel system. He feels they're pretty darn bullet-proof and
fairly simple to program. I was looking for prices, but didn't find any.
One thing that caught my eye was that their complete engine management
system will also work on '4-cylinder, Dual Plug' engines. Hmmmm. They
also have a very neat way the rev limiter works.

Oh yeah, Jim says Electromotive has a limp home configuration.

Wes Ingram shows the Electromotive ignition system set up for a
4-cylinder alfa engine on his website. He cleverly uses a Spica cover on
which to mount the pick-up. Would be nice to have an ignition which is a
really mount it and forget it type. Jim did have a problem with one
ignition setup because he belatedly found that the front pulley had a
very slight wobble. This surprises me after looking at Wes's as the
pickup appears to be some distance away - but then, I don't know the
complete story.

I gather a stock Alfa can handle a 50-60 HP increase fairly easily -
though not sure about the compression ratio. At this point I'm purely
speculating a complete engine rebuild along with the complete
supercharger system (including fuel and ignition system - not sure about
intercooler) might run in the $10 - 12k range.

Eric Storhok is interested in a supercharger system for the $2003
Challenge car and should he pull it off, I hope he documents it all -
along with (actual, realistic - as in most of us don't have friends in
high places) costs and whatever trials and tribulations he goes through
with the engine part. I'd like to 'run it' on my site or add a link to
his.

As I say to potential clients, "Want a new Miata or do you want your
Alfa restored?" True, this system would take it over Miata territory,
but I personally feel it would be the best of both worlds assuming
you're still willing to put up with a few of the standard Alfa quirks.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA