Re: Sport springs question, 84 Spider

Greg McNair asked about the IAP red sport springs.
I have similar question, since I just ordered a set.
(I was trying to install Konis, and was surprised to be confronted with a
broken right rear spring, and the bottom of the left rear shock being rusted
off - no wonder the handling was a bit off!!).
Anyway, I have the hardcopy IAP Workshop Manual,  and it sez the stock
springs are free length 457 mm (18 in), length in static load 252 mm (9.9
in).
It also lists a different set of springs used in Spiders with hard top as
being free length 476 mm (18.7 in), length in static load 252 mm (9.9 in).
The IAP catalog sez that the sport springs 'will level your Alfa Romeo and
maintain proper tire clearance by lowering it less than 1". '
Mine is an 87 Spider Quad, I'll measure it before and after installing the
springs and report to you all the difference.
Of course, this will be skewed a bit by the right rear broken spring.

Dave Martin
Endwell, NY