From: Mike Nakamura [mailto:mike_nakamura@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 1:32 PM
To: Alfa Digest
Subject: Steering Wheel Removal: Kinda long for an easy job

This has been address several times including once in response to my
post last fall.  I was trying to remove the wheel from my Montreal.

I received the general instructions, battery disconnected, center cover
off, wires disconnected, undo tab, loosen nut even with end of threaded
rod (protects rod), place wheel puller, hit center with hammer (sharp
blow).

This is what happened:

Before I had the puller, I tried tapping up with mallet (cushioned by
wood) from behind.  This was in case it would just pop off.  Silly, but
worth a try I thought.

Had a small gear puller so I tried that.  Cushioned the back side of the
wheel for protection.  No luck.

Borrowed correct puller, applied loosing oil, hit the center post,
nothing.

With puller under pressure, used 3/8" drill set to hammer (for
vibration) to press the center post.  Alternated tapping with sledge
hammer.  Nothing.

Left puller under pressure overnight.  Tried hammer drill, sledge.
Nope.  Hit it harder and harder, pulled threads out of wheel.  Returned
borrowed puller.

Re-applied small puller and left on two days under pressure.  Each night
more penetrating oil and hammer drill + sledge.  No luck.  Tightened
puller, ops bent the puller.

Called several tool stores.  Found larger puller, cost about $50.

Applied rubber pads to puller claws, cranked the sucker, did the over
night under pressure, more oil, more hammering.  Finally after many
moderate force sledge hammer blows, it came loose.

Mind you, several Digest posters helped (with moral support) and gave me
knowledge there is not something hidden (like a hard to find set screw).
They also laughed at me.

It took me about 10 days to get the wheel off.  I'm glad I took it in
increments to minimize the chance of breaking anything.

If you are near me and want to borrow the puller, save yourself a few
bucks. Fall City WA.

Mike

91 Spider Veloce
94 164 LS