milano 16" shake

XTC said;

I have a strange problem I'm trying to solve.  I have 16" 156 Sport wheels on
my Milano which I had to machine the center hole so that it'll fit on the
Milano hubs.  The wheels have been doing fine for about 1 year now and it's
been fine, but lately I've gotten a shimmy at around 80mph.  I thought it was
the balancing, but I've had all the wheels balanced twice and nothing.  I
thought I bent a wheel, checked and they're round, not bent.  My mechanic
checked and said that the Milano hubs are 58mm and the center hole in the
wheels are 61mm and that centering rings will solve the problem.

My question is would 3mm (1.5mm on each end) make difference where the wheels
would shimmy pretty bad?  And if so why did it just start now and not a year
ago?  I was doing 120-140mph for long stretches on the way down to the TN
convention and never had any shimmy.  Why now, is what I don't get.

Bill says: Ok, they worked fine for a year... aren't bent, and balance fine.
Seems to rule out the wheels.

Milanos transmit vibration very well. Look for suspension parts, ball joints,
tie rods,  bushings etc. I doubt that your issue is with the wheel package.

Bill