Re: Milano wheel shimmy & centering rings

Alan -

What kind of tires are you using? I have come across tires that, over time, develop a shimmy before becoming downright undriveable. This includes expensive, "ultra high performance" tires that have made their way on one of my Alfas.

I've had pretty good luck with Dunlop SP8000's and SP9000's but I've had rather crummy experience with Bridgestone RE71, and the successor, RE730. Both the latter would be smooth on install but as they got older, they got less and less smooth until they became incredibly annoying. No amount of balancing on Hunter's top-of-the-line GSP9700 balancing machine could get rid of the vibration. They usually came back within a few weeks.

Oh, in case you didn't know, the Hunter GSP9700 series is the most advanced consumer-grade balancing machine (you can also see it in the SpeedTV Touring Car Championship being lugged around from racetrack to racetrack), and will get rid of most balance problems. They're a little more expensive to use but work great. See http://www.gsp9700.com/ for a dealer near you. The machine can tell if the wheel is out of round, or if the tire is out of round.

Other good tires for staying round through their lives are Toyo Proxes T-1S, Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 (don't have experience with the new Pilot SX-GT), and Bridgestone Potenza S-03. I have some shimmy problems with my current "touring tire", the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, but they're comfy for long distances. Grip is not that great, but is very quiet.

Nizam