Bonneville Update - 8/15/02

European Car Magazine wanted to take some arty photos of Bonnie on the Salt
prior to Thursday's runs so Richard Kreines and several other members of the
team got Bonnie all cleaned up and polished and met with the photographer at
6:00 a.m.  Bonnie was rolled into several positions and various reflectors
were set up while the photographer waited for the "purple light of Jesus".
The photographer was from So Cal who had a vocabulary limited to "bitchin"
this and "bitchin" that.  Craig was really disappointed when he found out
there weren't going to be any scantily clad models traipsing about.  Poor
Craig... must be lonely.

Before Mike began his qualifying run against the G blown gas record, he had a
premonition that he would either go fast or blow up.  The oil pump had been
giving us funny readings all week and the motor had just been run over 200
mph four times in two days.  Mike's runs started like any other run.  Jimmy
Hendrickson pushed Bonnie up to 40 mph, laid on the horn and Mike released
the clutch and pulled away... fast.... turning into a tiny yellow speck in
less than a minute.  At the beginning of Mile Marker Two, Mike's speed was
192, which he increased to 196.9 mph.  Between Mile Markers Three and Four,
Mike noticed the engine stumble, then a total loss of power, then copious
amounts of blue smoke and oil pouring out the right side of the hood.  (Mike
analogized the scene to the old war movies when the planes get shot down and
smoke pours out of the engine cowling.)  Mike pulled the chute and with his
hand firmly on the release mechanism for the fire suppression system, pulled
off the track.  When the crew heard on the CB radio that the "yellow Alfa
lost his motor", we knew it was bad.

Back in the pits, we removed most of the turbo and induction system to
discover two enormous holes on either side of #1.  Portions of the Carillo
rod's big end lay in the belly pan and the rest of the rod was firmly
imbedded in the left side of the block.  We determined that oil pressure had
dropped, causing the crank bearings to spin in #1, 2 and 3.  The increased
clearance between the rod and the crank allowed the pistons to bend the
valves, completely breaking off the exhaust valve heads of #2 and 3.  Both
valve heads punched holes in the tops of the pistons in #2 and 3, completely
mashing the spark plugs flat and even breaking through the top of the
combustion chamber in the head in #3.  The carnage was spectacular.

In order to certify Craig's land speed record, SCTA tech inspectors had to
measure bore and stroke to verify displacement.  When we pulled the head at
the tech tent, the inspector said he's been coming to SpeedWeek to 25 years
and has NEVER seen an engine so completely destroyed.  In fact, every other
inspector in the area came over and had similar comments which, in turn,
attracted dozens of other spectators.  Cameras were clicking... it was like a
paparazzi feeding frenzy.  (Not exactly the kind of exposure we were looking
for.)

Needless to say, the tech inspector was able to take a measurement off the
only working piston (#4) and confirmed that we had a displacement of 119.39
cubic inches or 1968 cc's, well within the class limits.  Craig's record was
certified and we are officially in the record books.

You may recall one of our original goals was to get into the 200 MPH Club.
Even though we exceeded 200 mph AND we set a land speed record, the Club
refused to induct Craig or Mike as members because of some B.S. rule which
set a 215 mph minimum in the class.  Maybe they should call it the 215 MPH
Club... (or maybe we need to live in southern California....)

In spite of the fact we trashed a lot of expensive equipment and we didn't
quite meet our goals, we did set a Bonneville Land Speed Record and had an
absolute ball doing it.  I'm not sure whether we will be back next year.  We
may have reached the horsepower limits of the Alfa 2.0 litre and the depths
of Richard's wallet.  If any of you would like to become involved in the
project for next year (send money!), be sure to drop us a line.

Darren Besic and the whole Bonneville Team
in sunny Wendover, Utah

P.S.  Craig called his Mother from the pits immediately following his run to
tell her that her son just went drove a car over 203 mph.  She screamed and
said she wouldn't be able to sleep at all that night.  He told her, "Hey, its
not any different than going 185."  She, of course, screamed again.  His
father, who used to race in the 60's, cheered like his son just hit a home
run in the World Series.  What a riot...