hot 75

In a message dated 8/15/2002 10:28:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> AlfaXTC said:
> I'm in the process of installing a secondary fan to keep the car running
> cool
> when the AC is on.  All other attempts to keep it from over heating when
> the
> AC is on has failed.  We've discuss this topic in great detail before so I
> won't get into specifics, but I've tried all suggestion and no luck.

I must second Alfa Bill: a Milano/75 should be almost impervious to heat;
there is something wrong there and you have to find it (PS, the radiator on
the 87 we had was impossible-to-fix plastic, but OK).

Driving to the Convention in Santa Fe a few years ago from LA in the 75, the
overflow coolant bottle sprung a leak.  This made it all but impossible to
keep coolant in the system when it was under pressure, and this while driving
at a good clip in SEARING DESERT HEAT.  Despite being perilously low on
coolant, the 75 barely registered as warm.

So, if your car is running hot, I think you should find out what is really
the cause.  #1 with a bullet (as we say here in La-La land) is the indicator:
do you KNOW it is hot, or are you taking the word of a known flake (dashboard
instrument) for it?  If the latter, check every part of the instrument:
sensor, wiring, connectors, gauge.  That alone could be the problem.

If not, there is something wrong, not just something endemic to the model.
Isolate and rectify.  (I know this is sometime harder than it sounds)  You
will respect yourself in the morning.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA