older Spider speedo

In a message dated 8/14/2002 4:51:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> erratic spider speedo

Motoring down the road, two other thoughts occurred tom e, both out of the
mists of time...

I seem to recall (or, it was a fever dream) that in the older style
instrument there is a magnet which can become either demagnetized or
depolarized and needs to be corrected for the mechanical action of the needle
to work.

Of course, there is also a sensor that sends the instrument the info it
displays, and this can go South, as well as its connection to the speedo.  I
recall having to replace the cable to the 71 Spider Speedo, but now I can't
recall if it was because the fitting on the end was bad (it was) or there was
something else wrong with the cable.

This  reminds of a riddle popular when I was in high school:

Why is a duck when it spins?*

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

*Because the higher it goes, the fewer.