Re: was Alfetta Lust...now GTV6 bumpers

>>While not everyone's cup of tea, I chopped and channeled a set of Euro
>>bumpers, made a few modifications by pushing all up to the body, had
>>holes filled in, and painted them body color. True, as a bumper they're
>>a joke, but they don't stick out three feet (+ or - ) in the front and
>>back.

Hey all-
While we're on the topic of bumpers......I've also struggled over what to do
with my GTV6, particularly because it will be used primarily on the track (but
will get occasional street use). For a long time I have been toying with the
idea of using the bumperettes from a Porsche 944 (or 924 I suppose). Well, I
finally bought a set of bumperettes for the front and rear off Ebay.
I've started working on the fronts. I cut a piece of flat steel  about 12" long
to mount to the bumper shock mounting points. Since I don't have any welding
tools or experience, I used 4" long metric bolts to go into the existing
mounting holes.  Porsche bumperettes have screws embedded in them, so they can
be attached to the steel piece that I attached to the stock bumper shock
mounting points. I was hoping to save some weight, allow more air into the
engine compartment and have something that looks decent that also visually looks
legal on the street. I'm almost finished with the drivers side front. When I get
the whole front done (probably a week or 2) I take some pics and try to get them
posted for anyone interested. The nice thing about this application is that I
can easily switch back and forth from the original bumpers, if required (nothing
is permanent)
The back will be a bit more challenging cosmetically, since the big clunky rear
bumper hides some uglies, like the spare tire well. More to follow on that part.
I was hoping to have all of my upgrades and restoration on my GTV6 project
completed by now, but it looks like I can't get the car back into the shop (busy
Summer for Alfa shops!!)  until after Labor Day. I will be tracking all of the
costs and taking pics for anyone interested, so stay tuned.......

-JT