newer Spider, intermittent check engine light

In a message dated 8/9/2002 7:33:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Behind the passengers seat is a cover that when removed gives you access to
> a Red button, with the engine NOT running push the red button for a couple
> of seconds and release. Watch the check engine light, it will flash a code.
> Refer to the shop manual or CD to tell you what the codes are and what the
> problems is. Then go to the section of the manual that tells you what
> correct or replace.

I am sure this is right if the light actually means something.

ON our 91 Spider, the check engine light sometimes (e.g., two or three times
a year, only in Summer) will go on for a few seconds, sometimes even twice in
a day, when the conditions are aligned just right, which means going a
certain speed (I think it's between 60 and 80 mph) and the engine is hot, and
we're going up a hill (but not too steep a hill) at speed, and perhaps other
things are involved but haven't been noticed.  Since it goes out in a few
seconds and stays out, and this has happened a few times over a few years
with no other clues or problems, I assume it is some kind of transient
reading that has to do with the indicator light circuit itself and not
something it's supposed to be indicating.  Once upon a time I had a similar
issue with the break pad wear indicator light on the GTV6.  False alarms.
It's possible.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

GTV6 just passed smog, and pretty well, too!  Not bad for an old trout!