70's Vs 90's Spider

I've owned a 71 Spider, 72 Spider and currently we have a 91 Spider
Veloce.

At first glance the 91 seems like it would be slower, but during "normal
ALFA street driving" it is very comparable to the 72.  Even on the track
would be very close (for most of us regular drivers).  The pound / hp of
a 72 is better.  Approximately 18.3 pounds per hp for 72 and 21.3 pounds
per hp for the 91.

Advantages of 91 are:

Variable timing helps low and midrange.

Taller gearing so 75 MPH is more like 3,600rpm, not 4,000

Better leak control (oil, transmission, and rear end).

Better top cover.

Much better starting.

Nice seats.

Easier to find a "good" one.

Veloce has 15" wheels.

Factory fitted with electric coolant fans.

Electronic ignition.

More forgiving of inattentive driving (not shifting often enough).

Advantages of 72:

Slightly more torque in midrange than 1750.

Lower gearing than 91, good for autocrossing (4.10), but some prefer to
shift less.

Lighter (200 pounds less than 91).

Who needs AC in a Spider?  If you need air, take the 164.  If you really
need air, take the Dodge (or better yet the Toyota if you have one).

Unique SPICA to amaze and astonish your friends (I had some trouble with
the many SPICA cars I owned, but not disastrous; overall a good system).

Pretty shadetree mechanic friendly.

Almost all US model had limited slip (1750 didn't have limited slip).

Eyeball vent gives outside air.

Advantages of 71:

Many feel 1750 revs "better."

Rear end could be 4.56 (Fusi says US 9/41, Europe 10/41). I thought I
saw some US 10/41 cars.

Style:

Some like the integrated look of series 4 bumpers and the slight
rounding of the boot lid.

Reliability:

I drove the 72 about 80,000 miles in three years.  The only time I was
stranded was a broken distributor drive shaft.  It broke at the pin
holding the drive gear.  I had to start with care during the winter.
The low hp starter and cold start solenoid took a little getting use to.

91 Spider is always reliable.  We had to get the mystery battery drain
checked and repaired (Bellevue ALFA now Ferrari of Seattle).

My conclusion:

I like the simplicity of the 72 (crank windows, fresh air vents), but
the seats and engine management of the 91.

Ideal combination:

71-72 Body (no bumper overrides squares, less sound deadening), Series 4
Veloce seats (the suede inserts keep you from sliding), Series 4 engine
with modest hi-perform options (include the cooling system w electric
fans), aftermarket wheels (the Spider Veloce wheels weigh 23 pounds too
much for a 6 X 15), 72 rear end.

Kind of fun to speculate on a Spider.

Mike Nakamura

Fall City WA USA