Spider runs hot!

From: "Glenn Wasserman" <glennwa@domain.elided>
Subject: Spider runs hot!

If my Spider is running hot (the light comes on when the car is sitting
in traffic), and the fans aren't running when the A/C is on OR off, does
that indicate for certaint that the fan switch is shot? Is there a relay
or something else that could also be the culprit?

Thanks
-	-Glenn.

For the A/C problem; there is a pressure switch on top of the dryer located
in front of the passenger side front wheel. This switch serves two purposes,
one to turn on the fans at high pressure and second not to allow the
compressor come on when the pressure is low. First check the fuses and the
relay on the fuse panel under the dash. If ok then remove the wires from the
switch on the dryer, check the wiring diagram and short across the wires
that go to the fan relay. If they run then you may have to replace the
switch on the dryer, or the inlet to the pressure switch has become plug
with oil and junk.

Start with the easiest first the fuse and the relay. If you don't have a VOM
to check the relay, the relay for the power windows is the same. Switch them
and see if the fans run, if they do, buy two relays and keep one as a spare.
Every since I've kept spares I've never had to replace one yet.

If the fans don't come on when the light comes on it may be the fan switch
in the radiator or the fuse and relay. Here the easiest thing to do is pull
the wires from the fan switch and put them together. With the key on the
fans should run if the fuse and relay is ok. If not check out the fuse and
relay.

Also the switch for the light on the dash may be bad. Mine comes on at 212F,
how do I know? I have a VOM with a built in thermometer and temperature
probe. I put permagum at the base of the switch and drive the car hard with
the A/C on, when the light comes on the temperature is 212F. I've read some
where that it's suppose to come on at 250F. however, I can find where I read
that. Anyone know?

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee
1991 Spider Veloce w/auto 197,000+ (S)miles
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]