feets don't fail me now

In a message dated 8/7/2002 11:28:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Charlie says: "... very few people have the right size feet to heel-and-toe
> in an Alfa."
>
> Charlie, are you suggesting that not only double declutching, but rev
> matching too is unnecessary?

Just mentioning that over the years I've heard a LOT of people complaining
that the relative size, height, and/or separation of the pedals makes
hell-and-toe work tough in most Alfa models... and this possibly also has to
do with the size of the drivers' feet and/or footgear.

If you drive as Fred describes the revs are getting matched no matter what
sandals you're wearing.  And, I think no matter what technique you're using,
unless you're just jammin' it, you will have some way to get your revs within
shifting proximity.

Personally, I think that many of the techniques and "styles" people use when
operating the car become habitual second-nature habits very soon, and before
you know it they just happen without conscious thought.  This is not always a
good thing, but there you go.

I recall when I was first learning to drive I had a terrible problem with the
clutch, especially starting off from a stop at a light or stop sign:  I would
depress the clutch and feeling around for the right degrees of relaxation to
let it out, my leg would start to vibrate and shake almost beyond control --
didn't want to pop it out too fast, didn't want to let it out so that I was
riding the clutch.  More than once I waited through two lights until I was
able to get the car moving!  But, in a remarkable short time, I was driving
around and not even aware of the steps needed to cross an intersection at 5
mph.  Progress!

At the same time, it took an older me several months to stop my left foot
from searching for the clutch on those days when I drove the new,
first-time-ever automatic Spider!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA