Re: shifting

I can't imagine downshifting on a track without matching revs, that seems completely nuts. But then again, I think it's completely nuts to do so on the street, and I feel the same way about holding the clutch in at traffic lights, etc, so maybe I'm just anal. But on a track, I would think such a downshift would throw you off the road!
So I think I should point out that while we've been arguing the relative merits of synchromesh vs. double-clutching to match the speeds of the two shafts in the gearbox, no one has suggested that we shouldn't match revs (e.g. heel & toe) prior to clutch engagement (although that's how I initially misread Fred's first post on the topic). Anyone who fails to do so and induces the "WHOOSH" that Tess refers to doesn't know how to drive, and shouldn't be on the road, much less the track, IMHO. (And if they have such a huge clutch budget they can just give that to me when we take their license(s) away!)
Perhaps this misunderstanding is why we've gotten into the pointless discussion of clutch wear. As several people have pointed out, wear on the friction surfaces is negligible whether you use the synchros or you double clutch to effect smooth engagement of the next gear. I'm tempted to suggest that when you double-clutch, the throwout bearing and hydraulics actually get less wear, because rather than holding the clutch down (throwout bearing in use, hydraulics holding pressure) for the whole shift, you give them a break in mid-shift, so they're stressed for less total time.