RE: 2nd gear synchros

> I'd like to know why the second gear synchro is so prone to early
retirement.
> If you look at the tranny internals, there is no diference between the
second
> gear assembly and any of the others, one through five. So owing to the

> collective understanding of this shifter-shortcoming, has anyone ever
> suggested a cure? Titanium synchro rings? Radical gear lightening?
What is
> the present thinking?

Have your gears lightened.  I had mine done by Tom Sahines, it
completely transformed the car!  No more double clutching, or even
pausing in between gears - no matter how fast I try to shift it, I can't
get it to grind.

It also extends the life of the synchros, big time.  The cost of the
gear lightening pretty much pays for itself over time, in that you'll
probably never have to replace synchros again.

If you've got your tranny out for a rebuild, I'd seriously recommend
lightening the gears.

bs