RE: Double clutching - should I?

Joe Elliott explains double-clutch upshifting:
> On an upshift, the synchros slow the input shaft down, and if
> they can't, you get a crunch.  By engaging the clutch between
> gears after the revs have dropped you can slow the input
> shaft down appropriately so the synchros don't have to do
> anything when you slide it into the higher gear.

So you're using the engine to SLOW the input shaft?  I wouldn't
have thought of that - always expected the shaft to slow
quickly enough by itself.  This sounds a bit tougher, though,
to get right than a downshift - if you slow that shaft a bit
too much, then the syncro has to do the much harder job of
spinning the shaft back UP to speed.
--
jw