Cold starts and SPICA

My recently acquired Alfetta is my second SPICA-equipped car, the first
being a VERY tired Berlina.  Both cars had (have) cold-start problems,
requiring 2-3 tries to get them to stay lit.  Once warm, starting
was no problem.  Having never driven a SPICA car with a known-to-work,
properly-adjusted thermostatic actuator, what exactly is the car supposed
to do when cold?  The actuator handles mixture AND fast idle, yes?
How "fast" is "fast"?  1200rpm?  2000rpm?  More?  How quickly should it
drop to "normal" idle?

I've read all of the material on adjusting the pump, and spent hours
fiddling with the pump on the Berlina.  I'd just like to know if the
above is "normal", or not?

I should point out that a big difference between the two is the Alfetta's
pump was recently adjusted by a respected Alfa-savvy mechanic, and passed
the California smog test only days ago with flying colors (remarkably low
numbers, in fact).   It also has good drivability and power.  The Berlina
was set up randomly, which was one reason I didn't mind experimenting
on it, and never really ran properly.  Their only common trait is the
cold-start issue.

james montebello