re: Ice, Ice, Baby: Milano AC retrofit

Details to follow, but I successfully recharged a '90 Audi 80 with ES-12a this evening. (The GTV6 is next, but it needs some major AC work before it's ready to be charged.) Mark--I'd love to know how you determined how much refrigerant to use, and whether you pulled a vaccuum to eliminate moisture, etc.

At 4:49 AM +0000 8/5/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 14:20:22 -0400
From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
Subject: Ice, Ice, Baby:  Milano AC retrofit

So I was low on freon, ac engaged, but bubbles in the sightglass.  It
didn't cool very much at all.   I didn't want to pay for new freon, and
definately didn't want to convert to R-134a.

I ordered 3 cans of ES-12a or whatever they call their Propane/Isobutane
mix, a can tap, and the necessary fittings.  $50 or so (from
http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/ )

Now though technically illegal, you can add ES-12a to freon.  The
problem is that you'll now have contaminated freon that you shouldn't
dispose of, and can't recycle.

So I had the existing freon removed.  Had to anyway since the can tap I
got was designed to connect to the R-134a fitting.   To install the
adapater I had to remove the existing valve core.  My first problem was
the valve after installing the adapter is very close to the base of the
distributor boss.   It fouled the quick-connect can tap, but just
barely.   I took it over to the bench grinder and ground the top of the
quick connector to gain some clearance.

From there it was pretty easy.  I installed the first can and started
the car.   The AC doesn't turn on until the engine warms up, so I gave
it a few minutes.  There were bubbles in the sightglass, so I readied
another can.   Just as the last of the 2nd can went in the bubbles went
away.

I got behind the drivers seat, and bathed in the glory of cold air.   It
wasn't neccarily ice cold, but I wasn't surprised.   My air temp was 112
coming out of the vent before I turned the AC on.   I think the extra
heat from my CSC headers is warming the incoming air.

I'm so much happier with my car now.  It's so great to drive with the
windows closed. It's been a lot of work to get to this point, but she's
starting to feel pretty civilized.

    --Mark