Ice, Ice, Baby: Milano AC retrofit

So I was low on freon, ac engaged, but bubbles in the sightglass. It didn't cool very much at all. I didn't want to pay for new freon, and definately didn't want to convert to R-134a.

I ordered 3 cans of ES-12a or whatever they call their Propane/Isobutane mix, a can tap, and the necessary fittings. $50 or so (from http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/ )

Now though technically illegal, you can add ES-12a to freon. The problem is that you'll now have contaminated freon that you shouldn't dispose of, and can't recycle.

So I had the existing freon removed. Had to anyway since the can tap I got was designed to connect to the R-134a fitting. To install the adapater I had to remove the existing valve core. My first problem was the valve after installing the adapter is very close to the base of the distributor boss. It fouled the quick-connect can tap, but just barely. I took it over to the bench grinder and ground the top of the quick connector to gain some clearance.

From there it was pretty easy. I installed the first can and started the car. The AC doesn't turn on until the engine warms up, so I gave it a few minutes. There were bubbles in the sightglass, so I readied another can. Just as the last of the 2nd can went in the bubbles went away.

I got behind the drivers seat, and bathed in the glory of cold air. It wasn't neccarily ice cold, but I wasn't surprised. My air temp was 112 coming out of the vent before I turned the AC on. I think the extra heat from my CSC headers is warming the incoming air.

I'm so much happier with my car now. It's so great to drive with the windows closed. It's been a lot of work to get to this point, but she's starting to feel pretty civilized.

--Mark