No spark?

Wondering if anyone has seen this and can offer some advice.

My 74 Spider doesn't want to start -- appears not to be getting spark.
We've pulled a plug and verified we are not seeing spark there, and it
appears that there is virtually no spark coming from the coil. I replaced
the coil with one I had extra (condition unknown) and we at least saw a
tiny spark, but still not enough to start the car. Fuel appears OK -- at
least we can smell it.

The old coil appears to have continuity from the case to both leads. The
other one did not.

There should be a noticeable spark coming from the coil to the distributor
right?

Any other ideas, or areas to investigate to get it back up and running?

Greg