Vacation-Italian Cars Spotted

 I've just spent two weeks in the English Lake District. Whilst cars are the
last thing this beautiful environmentally sensitive area needs (and I plead
guilty M'lud) I did spot a few that I thought worthy of mention. The Lakeland
Motor Museum at Holker Hall near Cark has a red 64 Alfa Guilia Spider in very
good condition, and a 1929 FIAT 509A touring car in concours condition. This
FIAT model was significant in Italy as having sold over 90,000 units between
1925-29 at a time when the total of privately registered cars totalled
172,000.    www.holker-hall.co.uk

 What was totally unexpected and a real bonus surprise was seeing a daily use
Lancia Appia in the tiny fishing/holiday village of Haverigg. I bet there are
no more than a handful  of Appias in the UK, if that.

Almost spookily, a mile away in the somewhat run down neighbouring town of
Millom (A coastal Iron ore mining/smelting town until the 60s) there was a
'For Sale' sign in a clothing shop for a very nice 1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe
which looked excellent in the photo and had only 53k miles on it, for 3500
pounds with a years MOT test on it. This is just about my favourite Italian
Car ever of the modern era, even if it is only 1290cc. Its a real Swiss watch
of a car, delicate, but almost perfect in style, proportion and dynamic
qualities.

Later in the week we parked in Eskdale for one of our hill walks, and in the
car park there was a Silver 1971 DeTomaso Pantera in original and truly
excellent condition.

We came home a day early as over a months worth of rain fell in a little less
than 12 hours yesterday and significant parts of the North of England have
been flooded. An English Summer with Attitude!

Tim Hancock
164TS Lusso
164Super
Skoda Felicia Estate Car
Hymer (German) Camper Van (Borrowed for Vacation)