How long to rebuild a motor

Should someone need to rebuild the motor on a daily driver (as opposed
to the occasional driver), I'd say you have two choices: Take it to a
shop who is hopefully both knowledgeable with Alfa engines And not too
busy at the time and can 'promise' a quick turnaround. This way your
costs for a rental car won't add too much to the rebuild costs.

Another alternative, especially for the more knowledgeable mechanic and
somewhat adventurous. Yes, you could source a good used one from APE and
happy to hear that several have had good luck with their used engines.
However, one could get a spare engine and assuming theirs is still a
runner, drive your car while you rebuild the spare. Then on a long
weekend switch.

I'm going to take it a step further when I rebuild the block of a
'spare' Alfetta engine for my daily driver. The head was completely done
around 25k miles ago (at this point) so will remove, check out and
transfer to the new (and later) rebuilt block. I'll also switch over to
the later driveshaft at that time which I'll have previously had
balanced and new donuts installed.

I'll have enough food, beer (of course) to last four or five days, hope
I don't need something that's not in the shop, hopefully don't go silly
and decide to repaint the engine bay (a good possibility), and will just
have a wild ol' swithcheroo party of one.

Should be dooable.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA