re: Spider spring removal

Don writes:
>I need to do some work on my 86 spider's front suspension that will
necessitate >either removing the spring or compressing it to remove the load
on the lower >wishbone. I don't have the special tool mentioned in the
workshop manual.  Any >suggestions on a work-around for this?

Don,
I took the springs out of my GTV (same front suspension setup as your Spider)
by putting the car up on jackstands, placing a floor jack under the spring
pan, then loosening all the bolts and carefully lowering the pan to release
the spring.  Installation, as they say, is the reverse of removal.  A heavy
rubber mallet is handy to have when putting the springs back to help persuade
the pan into alignment with the bolt holes.  Also pick a calm day (for you,
not the weather), since it may take a couple tries to get everything back
together and properly seated, aligned, etc.

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS