Alfa SCCA Autocrossing

Hey, it's neat to see all of the Solo II enthusiasts out there...

Dion Fields asks:

"you say the class move from CSP to DSP has been 'recommended' by the Solo
Events Board.  does this
mean it is a done deal?  if not, could you keep us up to date of the
progress?. I am *hoping* to have my SP GTV assembled by then. Those darn
Miatas are too darn fast".

Yes, it's almost certainly a done deal. The Street Prepared Advisory
Committee agreed with my proposal last year, and the Solo Events Board put
it out for member comment. Their recommendation to the SCCA Board of
Directors means there was little, if any, negative comment so the BOD should
approve the change.

For those interested, the CSP National scoreboard is:
Honda: 99, 95, 94, 92, 90, 86, 85, 84
Miata: 00, 97
Datsun 2000 Roadster: 96, 93, 91, 88, 87
Mazda RX-3 SP:01, 98 (the for sale sign on this car had a dyno sheet
indicating 190 HP)
Pontiac Fiero: 89 (rain)
Fiat X-1/9: 83 (1st year for CSP)

Bill Sims writes:

"That's great news about the recommendation going to SCCA's board.  I did a
few emails on this regarding the Alfetta and the Spider.  I did not campaign
to move my Milano Verde from DSP to FSP, as locally it has been very
competitive in DSP.  Any word on the GTV-6 or Milano staying in DSP or
dropping down to FSP?  I do not look forward to the VTECs!  They used to be
my competition in STS....And George, I lost your email address.  Wanted to
let you know my Mom mailed a copy of the autocross article from the
"Lexington Herald".  I loved the way they used the grille pic of your Spider
in the paper!"

Thanks, Bill. There was no mention of any class change for the GTV-6, but
I'll bet the SEB would be receptive to a FSP Milano proposal. Yeah, the
newspaper article did wonders for our local SCCA Solo II program. A rear
view shot containing the "Alfa" license plate also appeared on the front
page. We're at schweikg@domain.elided

Ryan Fellini asks "Why do you want to get away from the Hondas"

Well... sad to say, in the world of SCCA Solo II, the Street-Prepared level
rules allow the Honda Civics and CRX's to become "overdog" competitors
compared to our beloved Alfas. Until the really competitive people found out
how to build a 1700 lb. Honda CRX, the Civic was the car to have (the CRX
renmained in CSP). The hot setup starts with a Haltech digital F.I. system,
and some easily adjustable suspension. Hondas are Macpherson Strut front
suspension, and are allowed camber plates at the top of the struts, allowing
easy experimentation and adjustment of front wheel camber. 105-series alfas
are not allowed the popular adjustable upper links in SCCA SP (this was
eliminated in the early days of the SP classification), so we are left with
caster adjustment, which is not totally bad. The primary advantage is
weight; the lightest Alfa specification is 2176 lb. (I think, for a 1971
1750 Spider), and a Civic can beat this by several hundred pounds. Assuming
a typical Honda owner has spent the $10,000 or so to prepare his car for top
rank Solo II competition, it will almost always beat the Alfa assuming equal
driving talent. The other issue is tires: for hot weather, the Hoosier DOT
Radial, Autocross compound is used by both Hondas and Alfas. The Bias ply
Hoosier DOT Autocrosser is now available in 13 in. size only which limits
it's use to Hondas and Miatas. In cold or moist weather, this is the
absolute best tire, and it's no longer available in 14 or 15 in. rim sizes.
Another competitive advantage.

This is not to complain. The CSP-to-DSP class change will make 105 series
Alfas more competitive (my 2002 Nationals CSP time was .002 sec. behind the
DSP winner), and we will continue to have a lot of fun. And, maybe the class
change will bring more Alfas into high level Solo II/Autocross.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
'76 Spider (with '74, '91, and a few other parts thrown into the pot)
30 year SCCA Solo Nationals entrant (along with wife, Dee). Is there no end
to this madness?

> <<Digesti and others,
>
> For Solo II and autocrossing enthusiasts, the latest SCCA news is:
>
> 1. The Solo Events Board recommended to the Board of Directors moving
Alfas
> currently in CSP (Class C Street Prepared) to DSP (Class D Street
Prepared)
> effective 1/1/2003. This includes 1600, 1750 and 2000 Coupes and Spiders.
> submitted this proposal in October 2001. Thanks to everyone who wrote to
SCCA
> in support.
>
> 2. SEB recommended to BOD moving Alfetta GT from CSP to FSP effective
> 1/1/2003.
>
> 3. Effective 1/1/2003, move Honda Civic VTEC/DOHC ('96-'00) and Honda
Civic