Crank types (was "engine weight")

At 01:23 AM 7/31/02 +0000, you wrote:
**weight between 1300, 1600, 1750, and 2000
engines?  **

The 1300 and 1600 will certainly be lighter with their
single counterbalance crankshafts.  Those cranks weigh
nearly 1/2 the weight of their fully counterweighted
brethren.
I suspect the fully counterweighted crank allows for
smoother spinning at higher revs.  Adriansen's
book  'Alleggerita' shows an Autodelta 1600 crank that
was fully counterweighted.  I've always wonderered if
the 1600's found in later european '70's-and-on Alfas
ever utilized a fully counterweighted crank, could be
the hot setup!

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA
'65 GTA 1600 w/single counterweighted crank
This topic is of great interest to me right now because I have located a GTAm crank which has been lurking in the back of a garage since the 70's. It is rusty and #2 journal is badly corroded but because of the rarity value I am considering a swap with a nitrided 1600 crank that I've got, suitable for a GTA The crank is the genuine Autodelta one with the 8 counterweights but I have been debating whether it offers significant advantages to a standard crank when used in an engine that will be revved to only around 7000 maybe 7500 during adrenalin rush. The weight penalty seems huge although it should be possible to lighten it somewhat by machining. Some machining will be required because #2 journal has to be undercut then built up and machined to size. (Steve - am sending you a picture of the crank.)

Les in Wellington, New Zealand