Re: "shelf" license plate lights

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:51:36 -0400 "Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided> wrote:
> On Berlinas, my current 1973 MY car 3001046, built 10/72, has the shelf.
> Car 3000671, built 8/72, has no shelf.  A former parts car I had,
> 3000698,
> built probably 8/72, and probably a 1972 MY car, did not have the shelf
> either. So I'd guess the change was in the 8/72 to 10/72 time span,
> maybe at
> the beginning of the 1973 MY?

> On GTVs, my 1973 MY rear-ended parts car, currently sitting in my
> backyard
> and built 12/72, has the shelf.  So I'd say this change came in during
> 1973
> also.

i think we're looking at the model year vs. calendar year can of worms
here.

i can't speak to how things are done in europe, but US car manufacturers
have for a very long time introduced yyyy+1 model year cars in roughly
september of year yyyy, implying that manufacture of yyyy+1 year cars
started 4-6 months early.

for what it's worth, my 1968 1750 GTV project car has a 9/1967 date on the
plate on the B pillar.

richard