Re: alfa-digest V8 #959

>Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:58:18 -0700
>From: "Obie Fayth" <bibendum59@domain.elided>
>Subject: R12 alternatives
>
>     The freon in my 164 seems to be getting a little low and so instead of
>just having the leak fixed and topping the system up I have started thinking
>about using an alternative refrigerant. Does anyone on the list have
>experience with any of the alternative refridgerants available (Duracool 12a
>or ES12a for ex.)? I want something with good cooling properties that isn't
>particularly hazardous and which doesn't require replacement of existing
>components. Both of these sites products sound good, but I was wondering if
>someone with firsthand experience could offer any advice on the matter.
>
>http://www.duracoolky.com/index.html
>http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/
>
>- -Obie
>Tacoma, Wa.
>164S - hot, hot, hot.

Interesting thing is that apparently these hydrocarbon based
refigerants are OK to replace R-134 but are not OK to replace
CFC-12 (Freon) in most states.  Therefore the procedure technically
requires conversion from CFC-12 to R-134 to Duracool/HC-12a/etc

See question #10 of this page:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc-12a.html

Unfortunately, it appears that Washington is on the list of states that
can't use HC based refrigerants at all (see above link, Question #10).

If you want to go from Freon to something else, here's the EPA approved
list:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/macssubs.html

-Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA