re: R12 alternatives

I don't have any firsthand experience yet, but just yesterday I ordered two cars worth of ES12a from Autocool (so it's rather annoying to discover Duracool today and notice that it's much cheaper...). One for a friend's Audi, and one for the GTV6, but I need to install the AC system in it first. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. But I'm a little lacking in firsthand AC knowledge in the first place. If anyone can tell me how this recharge procedure is supposed to work (especially on the GTV6 system which is currently scattered around my house), that would be fantastic. I know how a refrigeration system works, but I don't know the details of automotive systems and recharge procedures.

At 10:04 PM +0000 7/26/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:58:18 -0700
From: "Obie Fayth" <bibendum59@domain.elided>
Subject: R12 alternatives

    The freon in my 164 seems to be getting a little low and so instead of
just having the leak fixed and topping the system up I have started thinking
about using an alternative refrigerant. Does anyone on the list have
experience with any of the alternative refridgerants available (Duracool 12a
or ES12a for ex.)? I want something with good cooling properties that isn't
particularly hazardous and which doesn't require replacement of existing
components. Both of these sites products sound good, but I was wondering if
someone with firsthand experience could offer any advice on the matter.

http://www.duracoolky.com/index.html
http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/

- -Obie
Tacoma, Wa.